Hours of Work
Research Awards & Financial
Hours of Work
Research Awards & Financial
Deadline to Apply
Dedicated exclusively to children and their families, The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids) is one of the largest and most respected paediatric healthcare centres in the world. As innovators in child health, we lead and partner to improve the health of children through the integration of healthcare, leading-edge research and education. Our reputation would not have been built – nor could it be maintained – without the skills, knowledge and experience of the extraordinary people who come to work here every day. SickKids is committed to ongoing learning and development, and features a caring and supportive work environment that combines exceptionally high standards of practice.
When you join SickKids, you become part of our community. We share a commitment and determination to fulfill our vision of Healthier Children. A Better World.
Don’t miss out on the opportunity to work alongside the world’s best in paediatric healthcare.
We are currently looking for a Manager, Research Financial Planning & Operations to join the SickKids Finance Team. In this role, you will be the key support to the Senior Controller, Research Financial Planning & Operations and manage a team of Financial Analysts. The Research Financial Planning & Operations team provides leadership and direction in the design, development and implementation of the Research Institute's annual operating plan and provides business consulting services for the Research Institute. The team is also responsible for departmental accounting processes, balance sheet activities, systems administration and maintenance, asset management, month end co-ordination and the year-end audit. This division consistently monitors controls and processes that are in place. The team also identifies and analyzes areas of concern to develop effective processes.
Here's What You'll Get To Do:
- Coordinate the budgeting and forecasting processes - annual operating plan, long range planning, ongoing forecasting, etc.
- Responsible for oversight of the financial management of the Research Institute building operations portfolio
- Manage the detailed monthly review of the Research Institute Balance Sheet and Income Statement including variance analysis of plan to actual, re-estimating annual and extended forecasts and FTE analysis, reviewing account reconciliations and reviewing journal entries
- Manage the year-end financial statement audit, periodic internal audits, the preparation of annual Ministry of Health consolidation and other large scale reporting requirements
- Lead in the drafting of accounting position memos and accounting policy changes.
- Prepare and present formal financial presentations to various committees and stakeholders (annual budget presentation deck to executive management; key performance indicators; etc.)
- Development of customized reports for various end users and stakeholders.
- Identify and implement improvements to the annual operating plan and forecasting process including continually improving the design of the budget models in Workday Adaptive Planning
- Manage a team of three Financial Analysts, including mentoring, advising, development, and coaching to ensure resources and skill levels are in place to meet department needs
- Proactively identify areas of concern, challenge the status quo and discuss efficient process changes to ensure the accuracy and integrity of the financial information of the Research Institute.
- Participate in and/or lead special projects, task groups and selected committees focused on quality, systems and process improvements.
- Provide education and support to operational department managers and various end users in terms of the operating plan budget preparation, financial management of internally funded departments and any other ad hoc requests
- Perform/manage other job-related duties/projects as assigned
Here's What You'll Need:
- Completion of a Canadian recognized accounting designation, preferably CPA, CA
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration
- 5+ years accounting experience preferably with grant management or non-profit. Sound knowledge of PSAB and not-for-profit accounting standards preferred
- Ability to develop and lead an accounting team to deliver accurate and timely financial information
- Highly computer literate and have proficiency with the MS office suite, especially Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to design, analyze, and prepare financial reports
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft Financial, Workday Adaptive Planning and Qlikview is an asset
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interface with Department Managers, Principal Investigators, external auditors and all levels within the Research Institute
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and efficiently under pressure with strict deadlines, high volumes, and multiple interruptions
- Passion for process simplification and improvement
Employment Type: Permanent, Full-Time
Our Commitment to Diversity
The children and families we care for are diverse, and so are our employees. All are welcome to join our unique organizational culture and be part of our inclusive team.
If requested, SickKids is proud to make available accommodations to support applicants with disabilities during the interview and assessment process. Information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially. SickKids is also committed to providing services in both official languages and our preference is to hire employees who are fluent in both English and French whenever possible.
Thank you for your interest in joining SickKids. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. In accordance with our Hospital policy, employment at SickKids is conditional upon the Hospital’s receipt of all necessary documentation.
How to Apply
Tip: Combine your cover letter and resume into ONE document of 20 pages or less as you cannot upload multiple documents as part of your application.
If you are still experiencing technical difficulties please email [email protected] to send us a short description of the issues you are experiencing. Please note that we will not accept resumes sent to this inbox but we are happy to respond to requests for technical assistance.