Scope of Position
The Account Manager will ensure that Alterna attains its growth objectives and manages its existing Community Business Banking portfolio by assisting both new and current clients/members in meeting their business needs. The Account Manager will further the member relationship by identifying and providing for account needs for credit, deposit and other products and services which could include Agriculture and Small/Medium Enterprise (SME) and
Scope of Position
The Account Manager will ensure that Alterna attains its growth objectives and manages its existing Community Business Banking portfolio by assisting both new and current clients/members in meeting their business needs. The Account Manager will further the member relationship by identifying and providing for account needs for credit, deposit and other products and services which could include Agriculture and Small/Medium Enterprise (SME) and Real Estate.
The incumbent will also act as a mentor to other commercial department staff as they strive to better service accounts and develop in their respective rolls.
Contributes to the growth and on-going maintenance of the commercial portfolio:
- Sources, receives, investigates, and analyses requests for commercial services and products from a variety of sources, including brokers, individual accounts, small and medium sized enterprises, corporations, associations, Co-Operatives, Not-for-Profit organizations, and other lenders.
- Manages commercial relationships, requiring strong analytical and inter-personal skills, superior levels of general business knowledge, and advanced mathematical aptitude.
- Delivers Alterna’s credit, savings and other products and services to both existing and new accounts by assessing their specific needs, having a thorough knowledge of our available products and services, and identifying appropriate solutions.
- Prepares and presents, as required, supporting detailed loan summary or product delivery recommendations which include all appropriate supporting documentation, underwriting review, risk analysis, and clear, concise recommendations.
- Applies sound and supportable judgment within the parameters of accepted commercial business banking practices and procedures, as well as Alterna’s By-Laws and Policies.
- Ensures that senior management is made aware of material changes to credit.
Provides a high level of service to accounts:
- Demonstrates resourcefulness, creativity, innovation, and a helpful attitude, while striving to meet the needs of both the accounts and Alterna.
- Ensures member needs are being met, by managing the account relationship, and communicating effectively and openly with the accounts to explain our product and service offerings and processes.
- Ensure member satisfaction by cross-selling products and services, or referring them to appropriate channels as required.
Contributes to the departments’ business development activities:
- Keeps abreast of local business opportunities, general economic indicators, and industry trends.
- Increases public awareness of Alterna’s products and services by planning, scheduling, and conducting activities that promote Alterna’s products and services.
- Devotes time and energy to cultivating relationships with entrepreneurs, bankers, associations, accountants, lawyers, and real estate professionals, prospective accounts and depositors, and other key individuals able to influence the decision making of business/commercial clientele, with the scope and conduct of such activities undertaken, always, with a high degree of professionalism, in keeping with the provisions of the Alterna Code of Conduct.
- Maintains a significant profile and develops business relationships within the local business community on behalf of Alterna through participation in organizations such as the Board of Trade, Chamber of Commerce, Local Real Estate Board, industry associations, and trade shows/exhibits.
- Keeps abreast of business sectors with significant growth potential and potential for decline, to proactively manage the growth and maintenance of the commercial services portfolio.
Ensures safety of account’s deposits:
- Recommends an adequate/appropriate rate of return on credit products.
- Ensures a close monitoring of accounts in his/her assigned portfolio, applying sound and appropriate management/administration techniques.
- Identifies potential problems, recommends corrective measures, and implements approved courses of action.
- Demonstrates resourcefulness and creativity in developing action and realization plans that, whenever possible, satisfy both Alterna and the account.
- Keeps abreast of business sectors showing signs of potential negative trends, and recommends and carries out appropriate commercial banking portfolio management plans.
Supports internal staff as required:
- Shares his/her expertise with new employees or staff from other departments, as required.
- Assists in duties related to the operations of the department, or on request.
- Acts as a mentor, in a team structure, to all staff in their efforts to meet account service requirements and develop in their individual roles.
- Supports colleagues in departmental duties, as required.
Education / Certifications / Experience
- Post-Secondary education in a related discipline, ideally at the University level, typically in Business Administration, Economics, Real Estate Finance, Real Estate Appraisal, Applied Geography, Accounting, or Finance. (or equivalent combination of education and experience)
- Minimum 3+ years’ experience in a financial institution, ideally in a commercial account management role, with direct borrower/member contact, or with related experience.
- Experience in developing, recommending and/or approving Agriculture, SME Commercial credit a strong asset.
- Demonstrated experience in recommending and/or approving commercial real estate credit is essential.
Knowledge / Skills
- Knowledge of principals, practices, and techniques related to banking generally and commercial real estate credit assessment specifically.
- Knowledge of general market conditions, industry trends, and best practices in the financial services industry, regarding commercial credit and savings product and service delivery.
- Knowledge of management principles, practices, and techniques.
- Knowledge of legal requirements as they relate to the delivery of commercial credit and banking products and services.
- Knowledge of general macro-economic trends affecting our economy, and the market within which we operate specifically.
About Alterna Savings
Alterna Savings and Credit Union Limited (Alterna) has been the good in banking for 112 years! Alterna is made up of Alterna Savings and Credit Union Limited and its wholly-owned subsidiary, Alterna Bank. Together, we have $9.6 billion in assets under management.
As the first full-service, member-owned co-operative financial institution outside Quebec, Alterna Savings shares its expertise with more than 183,000 members through a network of 36 branches across Ontario, that includes partner Peterborough Community Savings; as well as call centre and digital channels. Members and customers also benefit from industry-leading online brokerage, investment management services, and have access to the largest surcharge-free ATM network in Canada through THE EXCHANGE® Network, with over 3,700 ATMs to serve them.
Working at Alterna
Every day, over 600 of our employees take pride in putting our members first. Our caring culture has been recognized by the prestigious employer awards National Capital Region’s Top Employers and Aon’s Best Employers (Platinum level).
- Although we appreciate all applicants, preference will be given to candidates who most closely meet the qualifications, key skills and competencies outlined above.
- Alterna is compliant with the Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you have a disability, please contact Human Resources to let us know how we can accommodate you.