Purpose & Accountabilities :
This role is part of the Shell IT’s Connectivity Portfolio team. The mission is to support projects with network engineering capabilities under the renewed model. The network engineer is expected to be a Subject Matter Expert (SME) covering the application of telecommunications and network technology deployed across the Shell Group. This covers all Shell’s businesses, all Shell’s
Purpose & Accountabilities :
This role is part of the Shell IT’s Connectivity Portfolio team. The mission is to support projects with network engineering capabilities under the renewed model. The network engineer is expected to be a Subject Matter Expert (SME) covering the application of telecommunications and network technology deployed across the Shell Group. This covers all Shell’s businesses, all Shell’s location (offices, onshore plants, offshore plants, offices, trading floors, etc) and various types of projects including capital projects and IT projects. The purpose of the network engineer role is to participate in larger project or lead smaller projects and deliver the network elements in the project. The network engineer will be the key person in the project for all telecom and network elements. The key Accountabilities are:
- Lead small network projects or lead network scope in larger projects.
- Collect all network and telecom requirements
- Work with design team to produce design meeting requirements based on Shell standards
- Develop deployment strategy and lead deployment including handover to operations by coordinating activities across suppliers, internal IT teams and business stakeholders
- Knowledge sharing and drive continuous improvement across the community
Accountabilities: For the services in scope (LAN/WLAN):
- Project leading – Either as project manager of a small network project or as network engineer in a larger project with the accountabilities for:
- Create project charter with defined project scope, deliverables, milestones, required budget and governance (small project only)
- Manage the project to deliver against the agreed charter, or approved changes through the applicable governance
- Collect and document requirements by specifying the needed functionality, all the nonfunctional requirements and all dependencies (e.g. cabling, construction or electrical work needed)
- Get a Shell standards-based design produced and signed off with the design team and design assurance team.
- Work via design office with architecture & portfolio to update standards in specific cases
- Develop a deployment and testing strategy which is aligned with business readiness and IT delivery timelines
- Lead the deployment by orchestrating all activities across multiple teams, consisting off: central IT delivery, local installation, local testing and business stakeholders
- Handover the deployed or changed services to operations
- Share knowledge obtained and learn from others as part of a natural team across architecture, portfolio, design, network engineers, operations and service management, amongst others.
- Bachelor degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Telecommunications or equivalent work experience
- 8- 10 - leading and executing Telecoms project delivery, Telecoms operations, or IT consultancy assignments to design, develop and deliver viable network and telecom solutions, preferably in Oil and Gas or similar industry with offshore experience preferred.
- Good understanding of OSI Model, TCP/IP protocol suite (IP, ARP, ICMP, TCP, UDP, SMTP, FTP, TFTP)
- Knowledge of Layer-2 Switching, VLAN’s and Access-list
- Knowledge of WiFi, authentication, security technologies, Internet, SDWAN, MPLS and Voice over IP (VoIP)
- IP addressing and subnetting and routing concepts
- Switches: Full configuration and VLAN setup on Cisco switches
- Telecoms Industry knowledge with extensive experience in Networks and Telecommunications, Testing and Commissioning
- Consistently delivered results in a matrix, global virtualized organization • Experience in negotiation skills • Excellent communication skills, verbal and written
- Proven experience in stakeholder and relationship management including external vendors
- Ability to translate technical requirements and specifications into easily understood business concepts and vice versa
- Cisco router/switching/security certification, at minimum CCNP
- Python programming and app development skills for programmable networks • Experience working in an (partially) outsourced environment
- Awareness of Agile and Scrum
- Service Management processes (Support Models, Service Level Management, Contract Management and Supplier Management)
DisclaimerPlease note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date. Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world. The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand. Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.