At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential. With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success. Come and be a part of this
At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential. With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success. Come and be a part of this success.Job Description
The Maritime & Supply Chain Excellence strategy is to procure the safest coverage at the lowest cost across container, break bulk, wet and dry bulk.
The Maritime Process & Operations team is seeking an experienced dry bulk voyage operator to join our Kuala Lumpur based team as part of Iron Ore Operations team. Maritime Iron Ore’s key accountability is to procure and oversee 1,500 voyages per year (150 vessels on the water at any given time) to warrant the safe transport of our iron ore from Australia to our customers globally.
You will be responsible for all vessel pre and post fixture operations. As an experienced vessel operator, you will be looking after the full remit of commercial operations of your assigned vessels. You will have knowledge of stowage calculations, voyage planning, bunker planning and purchasing, lay time and demurrage calculations and claims management. You will effectively optimise your voyages and manage the risk associated with Time Charter; this includes making commercial decisions on bunker management, speed planning and scheduling.
You will understand your voyage economics, the potential impacts and proactively make decisions that impact your P&L. You will need to understand and interpret fuel price movements, market movements and $/MT and TC hire rates. You will need to hold a high sense of urgency, promptly planning around tidal movements, weather routing and the scheduling team’s plans for loading at key ports. You will need to have a good understanding of charter parties in order to take responsibility for all commercial operational matters.
You will hold the highest degree of safety standards, reporting and escalating immediately all incidents to Sustainability.
Using your strong relationships you will need to work comfortably across all level of the organisation, communicating effectively and respectfully both internally and externally.
To be suitable for this opportunity, you must have over five years of core vessels operations experience in the dry-bulk /wet sector. You must exhibit high attention to detail, extremely organized and work within tight deadlines.
- Accountable for assuring zero compliance, governance or safety incident across the all voyages operated in Maritime Process & Operations.
- Demonstrates in depth understanding of safety and environmental considerations for ocean freight transport and acts as a subject matter expert for his peers in the Iron Ore, Coal, Copper and Petroleum scheduling teams.
- Demonstrates passion for delivering superior results; strives to continuously improve processes, systems or services.
- Good understanding of following Maritime processes:
- Voyage Economics for time charters, voyage charters.
- Freight systems, reporting and SAP
- Analytics, extracting voyage reports from systems and performance of sub-teams
- Lay time calculation, bulk and oil and gas trade and export Documentation
- LOI, B/L and understanding of trade finance flows and requirements
- Financial reconciliation of voyages
- Time charter & bunkering management
- Differentials Calculations
- Manage the month end process and get sign off from relevant management representative
- Dispute resolution management, tracking and escalation
Supporting a Diverse Workforce
The size and magnitude of our business not only provides significant opportunity for professional development, but also attractive salary packages with performance based bonuses and unique BHP employee share program.
At BHP, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people. We know there are many aspects of our employees' lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, citizenship, genetic information or other protected status under federal, state or local laws.
BHP is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability.