It’s the beginning of a new year. And what a year the past year has been. The effect of the COVID-19 pandemic has been profound. It has impacted everything from healthcare, technology, how people interact, and, yes, how they work.
In fact, one of the biggest impacts has been on the job market. From companies closing and employees being laid off, to companies finding innovative ways to make work-from-home environments work for them. With digital transformation and new technologies, companies are now able to use remote work as their only mode of operation.
But it goes further than that. Remote work could also open up opportunities for job seekers worldwide and create global competition for every opportunity. In simple terms, it’s now more important than ever to have the right skills to find the in demand jobs.
And that’s probably the reason why you’re reading this. You’ve probably wondered which are the most in demand jobs in Singapore in 2021. Because, let’s face it, getting in demand skills and in demand jobs is a surefire way to find your footing in the job market and see the pandemic through.
So, what are the most in demand jobs in Singapore in 2021? What skills are in high demand? This post will look at these questions in more detail. So, what are you waiting for, read on to see some in demand jobs in Singapore.
What skills are in high demand in Singapore?
What do the most in demand jobs in Singapore all have in common? Yes, they’re underpinned by certain in demand skills. A common theme in all these in demand opportunities are skills in technology, healthcare, and marketing. And it makes sense, as these skills are where most focus has been during the pandemic, whether it’s clinical research, development of new technologies, or using innovative marketing strategies to ensure success for companies.
If you want to stand out from the crowd, learning and developing some of these skills will help you most:
- Data Analysis. Data analysis is the process of cleaning, transforming, and analyzing data to get valuable insights from it. It also includes collecting the data from software platforms and products, cleaning the data, interpreting and visualising it in the form of charts and tables. It’s used everywhere from marketing, to business management, and is an integral part of machine learning which is becoming increasingly important as many businesses are using machine learning and artificial intelligence in their digital transformation efforts. There’s a wealth of resources, both free and paid, available online where you can learn this skill.
- Adobe Photoshop. Photoshop is the go-to tool for anything that has to do with photo and graphic editing. As such, some of the jobs that require the use of photoshop include graphic designer, photographer, web developer, and artists. In recent years, and with the growth of digital marketing, these jobs now also include things like marketing personnel, social media marketers and managers, and even public relations executives. You can learn this skill for free through many free resources online or by enrolling in a course by Singapore Workforce Skills Qualification (WSQ), or through Adobe’s own learning resources.
- Social Media Marketing. One of the pillars of any effective digital marketing campaign, social media marketing is becoming more popular by the day. Think about it, Singapore alone has more than 4.6 billion social media users which gives businesses a perfect platform to market their products and services. Because of this, more businesses and marketing agencies are looking for capable social media marketers. A simple online search will give you many online courses and other resources to learn this skill.
- SQL. One of the main tools in data analysis, SQL (Structured Query Language) allows businesses to store information about customers and business partners in a relational database and retrieve that information easily at any time. Because of this, it often forms the backbone of many popular business software platforms like marketing platforms, email automaters, and project management tools. Platforms like W3Schools and Codecademy present courses where you can learn this skill.
- Digital Marketing. When you consider that digital marketing encompasses all marketing efforts to create awareness on digital platforms, it’s easy to understand why it’s so popular, especially when an increasing number of consumers are consuming digital content during the pandemic. It’s also a constantly evolving industry where there’s a constant need for skilled and fresh talent. It thus makes sense that many businesses would need an inhouse digital marketing expert. Similar to the other skills, there are a wealth of resources available to learn this skill.
- Market Research. Market research gives businesses relevant data to help solve business challenges, and allows for strategies such as market segmentation and product differentiation. Here, think of a business that wants to market its product to a specific market segment. Although businesses hire dedicated market research analysts, this skill is also valuable in marketing, sales, and management.
- Customer Relationship Management. In a customer-centric world, customer care is crucial if any business wants to survive. In simple terms, happy customers are returning customers and businesses who want to take advantage of this need excellent customer relationship management. Besides, as it’s so important, it forms an integral part of any digital marketing strategy. Platforms like LinkedIn Learning and Udemy have many resources available for you to learn this skill.
- Python. As machine learning and artificial intelligence is becoming more popular, the demand for skilled Python developers is on the up. You’ll find it in everything from chatbots to recommender engines and intelligent apps that consumers and businesses use every day. And you don’t need to limit yourself to machine learning, as it’s also used in web development and cyber security. You can find courses to learn Python on most e-learning platforms and even YouTube.
Now that you’ve seen some of the in demand skills, it’s about time we look at the most in demand jobs in Singapore in 2021. Keep in mind that some of these jobs will differ in name and description, but will require the same skills, so it’s always important to read the description carefully and do some research.
You’ll also notice that jobs in Singapore in high demand, in one way or the other, rely on or are based on technology. It’s simply where the market is headed and, at this stage, technology jobs are some of the most in demand jobs in Singapore in 2021.
Considering this, let’s look at jobs in Singapore in high demand.
Other titles: AI Developer, AI Engineer, AI Scientist
Salary Range: Average of S$58,000 per year
Companies Hiring: Pencil, Accenture, Continental, DBS Bank, Samsung
Prospects: As AI is becoming increasingly popular, this position has very good prospects.
Browse AI Specialist Jobs on GrabJobs
Other titles: Digital Marketing Specialist, Digital Marketing Strategist, SEO Specialist, Social Media Marketer
Salary Range: S$3,000 to S$7,000 per month
Companies Hiring: PropertyGuru.com, Randstad, Singtel
Prospects: Because digital marketing is at the forefront of marketing during the pandemic, there will be excellent prospects for some time.
Browse Digital Marketing Jobs on GrabJobs
Other titles: Robotics Technician, Automation Engineer
Salary Range: S$17,000 to S$84,000 per year
Companies Hiring: GE, Polybee, PATEC Group
Prospects: With many industries moving toward automation, there is some room for opportunity and growth, but keep in mind that these positions are often for highly skilled and experienced job seekers.
Browse Robotics Engineer Jobs on GrabJobs
Other titles: Full Stack Developer, Full Stack Software Developer, Full Stack Web Developer
Salary Range: S$3,000 to S$8,000 per month
Companies Hiring: Nexlabs, Singtel, Transferwise
Prospects: Very good, from entry level through very experienced.
Browse Full Stack Software Engineer Jobs on GrabJobs
Other titles: Backend Engineer, Backend Programmer
Salary Range: S$2,000 to S$8,000 per month
Companies Hiring: Qavar, Reebelo, Shell Infotech
Prospects: Very good, from entry level through very experienced.
Browse Backend Developer Jobs on GrabJobs
Other titles: Data Analyst
Salary Range: S$20,000 to S$102,000 per year
Companies Hiring: HP, KPMG
Prospects: Excellent, taking into account how many businesses are moving towards data analytics in business processes.
Browse Data Scientist Jobs on GrabJobs
Other titles: Platform Engineer, Reliability Engineer
Salary Range: S$4,000 to S$8,000 per month
Companies Hiring: Quantlab, Volt, Binance
Prospects: DevOps engineers face steady career growth as the demand for automation and lifecycle management increases.
Browse DevOps Engineer Jobs on GrabJobs
Other titles: Big Data Analyst, Technical Architect, Solutions Architect
Salary Range: S$46,000 to S$133,000 per year
Companies Hiring: Indeed, Rakuten, HP
Prospects: Being a growing profession, there are many opportunities available for data engineers, with the demand only expecting to increase.
Browse Data Engineer Jobs on GrabJobs
Other titles: Cyber Security Analyst, Security Engineer
Salary Range: S$4,000 to S$5,000 per month
Companies Hiring: Govtech, Volt, Singtel
Prospects: With more online services comes more security risks and more demand for cyber security specialists.
Browse Cyber Security Jobs on GrabJobs
Other titles: Community Manager, Communications Specialist, Communications Coordinator
Salary Range: S$2,000 to S$9,000 per month
Companies Hiring: Cisco Systems, Allianz Global
Prospects: The increase in social media usage increases the demand for community specialists.
Browse Community Specialist Jobs on GrabJobs
Other titles: Partnership Manager
Salary Range: S$3,000 to S$5,000 per month
Companies Hiring: TikTok, Bytedance, Singtel
Prospects: Very good as many businesses are relying on strategic partnerships to ensure continued success.
Browse Partnership Specialist Jobs on GrabJobs
Other titles: Clinical Applications Specialist, Clinical Manager
Salary Range: S$80,000 to S$90,000 per year
Companies Hiring: Thermo Fisher, Changi General Hospital
Prospects: Because the pandemic has put health at the forefront, excellent prospects will exist for some time to come.
Browse Clinical Specialist Jobs on GrabJobs
Other titles: E-commerce Associate, E-commerce Manager
Salary Range: S$34,000 to S$133,000 per year
Companies Hiring: Hasbro, Tate Asia, Salesforce
Prospects: E-commerce is only expected to increase in the coming years, and with it, the demand for e-commerce specialists.
Browse E-Commerce Specialist Jobs on GrabJobs
Other titles: Customer Success Manager, Customer Service Agent
Salary Range: S$55,000 to S$78,000 per year
Companies Hiring: VMWare, Cisco Systems, Salesforce
Prospects: Many opportunities exist for customer success specialists, and it also offers a springboard for many other positions within a business.
Browse Customer Success Specialist Jobs on GrabJobs
Other titles: Product Manager, Product Director
Salary Range: S$61,000 to S$200,000 per year
Companies Hiring: TikTok, Bank of Singapore, Singtel
Prospects: The product owner role is becoming increasingly popular as businesses are focusing on providing customers with the products they want. Thus, more products means more demand for product owners.
Browse Product Owner Jobs on GrabJobs
Other titles: Copywriter
Salary Range: S$34,000 to S$63,000 per year
Companies Hiring: Elixir Technology, Ogilvy
Prospects: With the need for increased marketing across all channels comes an increase in demand for copywriters.
Browse Creative Copywriter Jobs on GrabJobs
Other titles: People Operations Specialist, Human Resources Partner
Salary Range: S$17,000 to S$142,000 per year
Companies Hiring: TikTok, Embraer, Hubble
Prospects: Very good considering that companies are increasingly focusing on employee satisfaction in their operations.
Browse Human Resources Jobs on GrabJobs
Other titles: Salesperson, Business Development Executive, Business Development Manager
Salary Range: S$10,000 to S$90,000 per year
Companies Hiring: Child Education Co, Stonrich
Prospects: As long as there are products and services to sell, there will be a demand for people to sell them, so the prospects are good.
Browse Sales Executive Jobs on GrabJobs
Other titles: Customer support, Service Desk Analyst
Salary Range: S$2,000 to S$3,000 per month
Companies Hiring: Singtel, Collabera
Prospects: The helpdesk is an integral part of any effective customer service strategy and there’s always demand for skilled help desk professionals.
Browse Helpdesk Agent Jobs on GrabJobs
Other titles: User Experience Designer
Salary Range: S$3,000 to S$66,000 per year
Companies Hiring: HP, Razer, Credit Suisse
Prospects: Customers are placing an emphasis on the user experience when choosing a business to buy from. As this needs increases and customer needs evolve, the demand for UX / UI Professionals will increase.
Browse UX / UI Jobs on GrabJobs
There you have it, a straightforward guide to the in demand skills and the most in demand jobs in Singapore in 2021. Now it’s up to you to take the next step and ensure success in your future. So, read a little, research a little, and maybe do a course or two.
Now we want to hear from you. What job on the list do you find most appealing? What interests you most? Let us know, we’d love to hear from you.