ST ANDREW'S MISSION HOSPITAL
The St. Andrew's Medical Mission, founded in 1913, is a testimony of faith and vision, as well as a living miracle of God's love and compassion for mankind. Inspired and guided by God, many different hands have steered the course of the Medical Mission.
The Mission was initiated by Dr. Charlotte Ferguson-Davie, a medical doctor and wife of the first Anglican Bishop of Singapore. Her compassion for the sick poor and her tireless effort led to the opening of a dispensary at Bencoolen Street on St. Luke's Day, 18 October 1913. Over the years, it set up and consolidated various health services ranging from dispensaries in the early years, St. Andrew's Mission Hospital in 1923, St. Andrew's Orthopaedic Hospital for Children in 1939 and St. Andrew's Community Hospital in 1992. The work of the Medical Mission has had one common thread - meeting the healthcare needs of the underserved and the disadvantaged.
Today, St. Andrew's Mission Hospital (SAMH) is a non-profit voluntary welfare organisation. Its services have expanded and evolved holistically so as to minister not just to the physical well-being but also to the emotional, social and special needs of the community.