Lead the experimental design, execution and reporting of various research questions in our research pipeline. Must be able to execute a biological experiment from start to finish, beginning with the experimental design, materials and methods, execute the research, collect and analyse data, report back findings and recommend follow-on research requirements based on findings. Must be familiar with laboratory equipment commonly used in experimental biology. Develop and manage the research budget to cost-effectively execute the agreed research pipeline. Stay current on the latest academic and industry research and methods. Establish sustainable long term business relationships and promote collaboration between AquaLogix and members of academia, research institutions, key technical opinion leaders in the industry and other stakeholders. Establish an informal peer review panel to provide critical input to research. Identify innovative solutions and different approaches to the Akualogix platform wherever relevant. Make contributions to help establish AquaLogix as an innovation leader in the aquaculture industry. Under general direction from your manager, you must be able to operate productively with substantial autonomy and latitude in decision making; applicants must be self-motivated and passionate to push their own performance and capabilities to new heights.
- Convert the Research and Technology Development pipeline into individual research projects by defining the hypothesis and research objective, experimental design, materials and methods, data analysis approach and budget.
- Conduct statistical analysis of research data and report findings in a clear and concise manner.
- Execute research on a day to day basis with high precision and attention to detail; including meticulous measurement and data collection, control of experimental conditions and measurement equipment accuracy and calibration.
- Conduct and report research of peer-reviewed literature as required to further enhance our understanding of critical issues related to the research agenda.
- Recruit, train and retain outstanding research assistants as may be required over time.
- Develop forward research budgets as part of a regular budgeting cycle.
- Develop technical programs that enhance AquaLogix’ image and technical credibility in areas of interest.
- Adhere to the AquaLogix Culture and Value systems as a core member of the team
- Contribute to the overall Akualogix system with proactive thinking and innovation.
General Guidance for Key Knowledge/Skills/ Experience
- PhD or MSc in marine biology or other biological sciences discipline from an accredited university and 5+ years of research experience in marine biology or applicable fields
- Experience with microbiology sampling and culturing, PCR, cytometry, microscopy, and analytical chemistry
- Understanding of the aquaculture industry and biological considerations of aquaculture systems
- Strong cross-functional skills to effectively work with productively colleagues and other stakeholders, negotiate effectively and achieve desired results in a close team environment
- Analytical skills to manage and interpret data, run experimental trials, and provide feedback on controlled experimental work; must be able to conduct statistical analysis in R, Python, Matlab, SAS or other statistical analysis software; prior experience with LIMS would be beneficial
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex technical concepts in understandable terms to non-scientific colleagues and stakeholders.
Other Essential Requirements
- Fluent in English.
- Singaporean, PR only; due to current circumstances we are unable to consider candidates outside of Singapore
- Candidate must be able to work on-site at the Marine Aquaculture Centre and National Marine Laboratory at St. John’s Island